January 25, 2009

Happy Anniversary, New York

This week marked the 1 year anniversary of my move to New York from San Francisco. I am moving into a new apartment at the end of the week so I spent my Saturday packing boxes and trying to watch everything on my DVR before I send it back to Verizon. While I packed, I couldn’t help revisit this last year in my head and I’ll admit that it made me wax just a little nostalgic.

I learned a lot about myself in this apartment. I faced a very big city with nothing more than a few (thousand) online friends and a great job and it didn’t kill me. There were many times when I thought it would.

It took me a long time to be able to say this but I think I’m finally ready: I’m so glad I came here! It actually seems to have been the right thing. Funny how life makes you step to the edge of what you think you can handle before you realize that you may just be heading in the right direction.

It is so great to communicate with all of you who read my blog, Facebook page, and Twitters but at the end of the day, it is still just me and a glass of wine in this small studio apartment. It has been scary. I hit many speed bumps and made some decisions that I wish I had approached differently. But if I am feeling sad or alone, I always know that I can reach out online and find someone somewhere who is willing to be supportive in one way or another. If you are reading this, you are one of those people. So thank you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Who knew that something with such a stupid name as Twitter could be so sustaining?

Now back to my packing. To add some levity to this post, here is a working list of things I cannot for the life of me remember why I packed from San Francisco to New York. These things will not be moving into my new apartment:

1. A burka I bought in Dubai. Come to think of it, I’m not sure why I bought it in the first place. A friend pointed out that I might want to keep it in case we lose the war on terror. I think I’ll chance it. It goes.
  2. The first season of Nip/Tuck. I used to watch this terrible show. I’m embarrassed to admit that.
  3. A Rachael Ray cookbook. It was a gift from an ex-boyfriend, four boyfriends removed.
  4. Stretch mark cream. I swear I didn’t buy this. It was in a gift bag at a sample sale I went to 2 years ago.
  5. A three-ring binder punch. I don’t see myself needing a three-ring binder any time soon.

I’m sure there will be more.

42 responses to “Happy Anniversary, New York”

1. Daryl says:

bwahaha at that list off things left behind!! Pwease oh please have that list on going!!

Onto more serious things I think this blog post it awesome and is a ood read for those folks looking at moving out.. hmm bit distracted catching up on 24 (S6) and Jack just shot Curtis, cry*… anyway hoorah for lifes challenges!

2. Speedmaster says:

Move to NY FROM SF?! I thought living in SanFran was absolutely required in order to be a Web 2.0 hipster? 😉

Seriously, keep up the good work, love wathing/listening to you on TV and podcasts. 😉

From a fellow NYer, well, Rochester anyway.

3. Christene says:

I’d keep the 3 ring binder punch. The others sound like great things to purge. 😉

Happy 1 year Anniversary. It’s nice to hear you are liking NY.

4. Mark says:

interesting view into moving and change…

You’ll have to talk to Ella Morton (From CNET AU) when she gets to NY.

All the best, and may each of your boxes arrive all safe and sound. (unlike mine where 1/3 of my glass stuff broke!)

Mark

5. Justin says:

Great post, Natalie. I had a similar experience through my college years, which are just coming to an end. I moved to Boston from a small town and it’s neem a great learning experience. Best of luck to you in your future on NY!

6. Alex says:

Kick ass chica. Congrats on the year. Glad to see/hear you acclimating to life here in the City. Who knows? Maybe you’re on your way to becoming a true Nuyorican. Keep up the good work chica and keep making us Latinos proud with your outstanding work. Good luck to you with life/love/work in 2009.

Alex

7. ethan says:

Glad it’s is working out for you. NYC can be a tough place. You seem pretty well adjusted.

8. Richard says:

Hey Natali

Its great to see you are enjoy the move to NYC!
    Awesome that you are now a regular on BOL, and loaded is a fantastic show.

Keep up the great work and enjoy your new place.

All the way Australia
    Richard

9. Richard C says:

Hey, Natali! Glad you have grown fond of my hometown. I’m happy the ‘shock and awe’ has worn off and you’ve become comfortable here. And to think that there are so many more opportunities, professional and personal, that are yet to be discovered.

Thanks for hanging in there and you’re welcome for the online support.

Richard C from the N-Y-C

10. Alex says:

I’m glad you’re loving NY! I remember when you were complaining moving about here.

I love Loaded and seeing you on TV.

Alex, a fellow NY resident.

11. N, why you hating on Nip/Tuck?! LOL, I have to admit I am a guy and find that show entertaining. Moving is a great ‘opportunity’ to get rid of the OLD to make ROOM for the NEW!

Have you ever heard of the vacuum law of prosperity?

Try it with any possession that you don’t like… ie: furniture, etc.

Especially your clothes… clothes that you don’t wear on a consistent basis … just give it to goodwill…. you will make room and attract new beautiful clothes that you will be excited to wear.

Now on to more of a Spiritual Personal Development Note…

What aspects of your life with this move will you be letting go so you can make room for some great and new?

Curious George all the way down here in Texas….

Blessings on your new Move & Congrat’s on your 1 year Anniversary of NYC.

your friend,
    MattheW

ps: What is your favorite kind of wine? I have a best friend who owns a personal-wine company… will ship up a few bottles w/ your name on it.

12. Shanna says:

I’m a Twitter follower (I don’t think I’ve replied before, though) and a member of Buzztown (also rather silent there.) But regardless, I’m definitely supportive in spirit at least.

Congrats on making it through your first year! Though I’m certainly not surprised that you have done so well – you seem very strong to me.

-Shanna

13. Terrence Cheek says:

Ah Natali you are so brave and strong and also pretty and sexy. It was really brave of you to leave San Francisco to move to New York. I”m so happy that your happy that you did make that big move. You are the best Beautiful One.

14. Hey!
    I just wish that above all things, you continue having fun at everything you do :)

Cheers from México!

15. Josh says:

First and foremost, it is always a pleasure to interact with you in any fashion online. It may sound silly, but I look forward to getting to know you better in this next year as you appear regularly on Buzz Out Loud. Over the past year, I have commented here several times, @replied to you, and even emailed a handful of times. The biggest, and most pleasant surprise has always been you responding to me. That sort of down-to-earth interaction, no matter how brief or simple, is very important. Any form of message from someone like you always makes my day. The more your success and career grow and move forward, I hope that never changes about you.
    Here’s to a pleasant and easy move and a great year 2 of the New York Adventure!

Also, Love the idea of a list of odd things found when packing/unpacking. It should be a new trend

16. kelvlam says:

Hey Natali,

How weird wordpress said this post is “January 25, 2009 at 1:19 am”. I mean, it’s only 6pm in SoCal now, which mean a bit after 9pm only on the 24th.

Congratz on a great year and that you took up the new responsibility of BOL. How does it feel that you have to go to work on a Friday now? =P

I’m crossing my fingers as well, hopefully 2009 will be a big shakeup for me. I need it badly…

Cheers! Happy packing, and wish you a smooth moving~

17. Tony says:

One year. Wow. It’s amazing the amount of experiences you can amass in 365 days, and yet have them pass by you so quickly. It was an eventful year. I still remember reading of you leaving TeXtra for Cnet, moving into your New York apartment and not having any furniture for days, buying an iPhone, returning the iPhone, losing the iPhone, starting Loaded, begin Twittering, navigating New York, being more social, being the go to gal for technology for all the shows of all the networks, etc. And through Twitter, we learned of your mad working schedule, with super early days and late nights, and witnessed you taking in stride.

What an incredible journey thus far. Thank you for letting us in, and taking us along the ride. What a pleasure it was to watch you grow this past year, and so happy for you that the New York decision was a good one.

As for your move to a new apartment, like the move from San Francisco to New York, I hope this is for something bigger and better.

Happy Anniversary, and keep heading in the right direction.

:-)

P.S. Of all the items you’re leaving behind, it was the three-ring binder punch that literally made me said “wow” out loud. Go figure.

18. Natali, you know, I’m quite sure you could think of some fun things to do with the burka… OK. I need to stop there 😉 Good luck with the move (and the packing, if you’re still procrastinating)!

19. Kevin says:

The stretch cream probably came with the Rachel Ray cookbook.

20. Abemelek says:

Wish I could help!!!

21. Sebastián says:

Good luck in your new apt. NY is lucky to have you!

22. Anjuan says:

Natali,
    Although I have never met you in person before, I have to say that I am proud of you.

I remember when I first saw you on Cranky Geeks and thought, “Wow, she seems nervous. But, she seems to know her stuff.”

Then you had the guts to put together your own show (TeXtra), and I thought, “Wow, she seems nervous. But, now I know she knows her stuff.”

Finally, you made what must have been a very difficult choice, and you joined CNET requiring a coast to coast relocation.

Never let it be said that a Del Conte isn’t brave . . .

Now I get to see you on Loaded. And you don’t seem nervous any more.

Congratulations on your first year in NYC.

Regards,

Anjuan Simmons

23. Roger Gil says:

You do great work… one more year & your “I’m east coast & I love it” Club application will go up for consideration.

All kidding aside, it really is good to see a Latina on TV who isn’t asked (or volunteers) to portray herself in a manner that relegates her to the role of product model, soap opera (‘novela’) diva, or dancing queen. Thx for the great reporting. Que Dios te bendiga.

Roger, NJ

24. BC says:

I’m moving from Nyc to SF later this year… I don’t have any stretch mark cream nor a few thousand online friends… will I survive out there?

25. John says:

It’s quite an accomplishment, to take a bite out of the big apple. Your second year can only get better. I agree with the prior blogger by the way, keep the three hole punch.

26. Alex says:

Okay, so now I’m really curious to know what you find so terrible about Nip/Tuck?

My girlfriend loves the show. Maybe its the vanity of it.

If we do lose the war on terror, I’m sure all of our favorite designers will have burkas out the following season.

27. John (Toydriver) says:

Congrats on that first year in New York. I’m sure you will always be a success because you are good at what you do and your niceness always shows.
    The Princess of Digital can NOT be seen with a 3 hole punch. Get rid of it!
    Best of luck in your 2nd year in NY.

28. JJT says:

Just make sure to burn the Rachel Ray cookbook. Nothing but badness can come from that thing.

I am shuddering at the thought of hearing “De-lish” from Rachel Ray now.

29. Pj_iPhone says:

Congrats on making it a year! I’m sure it wasn’t east, but most good things in this world aren’t. Keep up the good work!

30. Eric Dye says:

Great post. I love both cities and each can be intimidating in its own way. Sometimes we will not know until we step out what is meant for us…you did that – BRAVO! Great being affiliated with you! Thanks for sharing your heart and mind on this post. Enjoy the Big APPLE – would love to live there myself!

Eric Dye ~ Brazil

31. Shane Goode says:

Nice Read !

I thought it was required for everyone to have at least one “three-ring binder punch” per house hold ?
    Yep – Just found mine in my desk drawer.

Shane

32. Dave says:

Glad to hear you are happy in NYC now, you did not sound like a happy camper when you first moved there.
    One thing for sure, it was great for your career!

33. […] Happy Anniversary, New York This week marked the 1 year anniversary of my move to New York from San Francisco. I am moving into a new apartment at […] […]

34. Rose says:

We make daily choices….some cause pain for ourselves and others. Hopefully you’ll be happy with the ones you make in 2009.

35. LOS says:

Just wanted to say congrats on your one year move. With your smile and personality the sky’s the limit. Do you happen to have a clone who lives down South :) Look forward to reading more of your blogs.

36. djs1w says:

Nip/Tuck rules, don’t ever stop watching it.

37. Daniel Hernandez says:

Why you hate nip/tuck?, it’s a great show, If you don’t want it any more you can give it to me I don’t have seasons 1, lol

38. Mariano Renteria says:

Well that’s how life is, I have just make a year living with my girlfriend and as things get serious, changes too, so I’m giving away my all-time single bed, and now we own a double bed.

Life is full of changes, always give your best face, and good things will come!

😛

39. Don M. says:

As soon as you get rid of the Burka, that’s when you’ll suddenly need one. Isn’t that ALWAYS how it goes?

But if you are serious about dumping it, you could put it on E-Bay. Describe it as; “Dubai Burka. Worn once. Never beaten or stoned in it.”

Just don’t throw it out. That would be a waste. ;-P

40. Good luck with your move natali into a bigger place.It nice to see a new post on your blog,it’s been awhile.It’s always nice to know that your surviving NY. Enjoy your big move,can’t wait to see you next week on loaded. AKA Double guns Loaded. Robert

41. Nathalee says:

I’m sitting the Grove right now (going to Tom’s bday party at the Saddlerack tonight) and I almost spit out my Jasmine green tea when I read #1. You are so funny I can’t handle it. :)

42. Jameson says:

Nip / Tuck: as guilty pleasures go, this is one of the ones best tucked into the closet. (My closet has double dead-bolts on it. And Nip / Tuck inside.)

I’ve never been able to understand how people keep cookbooks from an ex. It’s like keeping their shampoo or something: if you cook anything in there it tastes like sentiment. Or nostalgia. Or a cold vendetta.

Maybe that’s just me…